Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The Sword in the Stone (1963)

I find it surprising that The Sword in the Stone is not one of the more popular Disney movies because it's based on such a famous legend, but somehow the tone of the movie seems different from other Disney movies, so perhaps that's it.

I think it's cool that this version of Merlin is a wizard as well as a time traveler. It brings some light-heartedness and humor to the movie-- with all the references to modern culture and technology that the medieval characters don't understand a word of.










Guys, I found my new favorite Disney song lyrics:

"You must set your sights upon the heights
Don't be a mediocrity
Don't just wait and trust to fate
And say, that's how it's meant to be
It's up to you how far you go
If you don't try you'll never know
And so my lad as I've explained
Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Precisely right!

I almost ship Arthur with the female squirrel. I'm sorry, but I really do. I would actually kind of like to see her as a human... apparently there's a fan head canon that after Arthur becomes king, Merlin turns the female squirrel into a human so she can be with Arthur, because, let's be honest, you can see how in love she is with Arthur and you want there to be a happy ending. That would actually be completely ridiculous, but admit it. The romantic part of you wants it to happen...

After watching this movie again after many years and with a new maturity, I realize that Arthur is probably one of the most honorable and admirable male Disney characters. He is humble, obedient, respectful, and he doesn't give up on his goals. For a twelve-year-old boy, that's awesome! He is rather naive, but even so, he has a certain strength and virtue, and that's what will make him a great king.

My rating:



I'll just comment that I was debating strongly between 3 stars and 4 stars. I've stopped doing fractions with my ratings, but if I were still doing them, I'd give The Sword in the Stone a 3.5. I don't think it's as good as the other movies I rated at a 4 star, but it's still a good movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment